The international research center CARDET, recently coordinated a study visit at Imperial College London (UK) and Riga Technical University (Latvia), in order to examine the ways in which these two universities collaborate with industry and promote innovation. The visit, was part of the project “Development and operation of University-Industry Liaison Offices in the Republic of Cyprus”, coordinated by the University of Cyprus.
The goals of the project are:
- Development and operation of Industry Liaison Offices (ILOs) among participating Universities in Cyprus
- Collaboration of Private and Public Sector within a mutual objectives scheme
- Development and promotion of Innovation Culture
- Engagement of the Academic world with the Cyprus Business world through compatible and productive collaborations
- Establishment of a communication channel by the contribution of other productive bodies of Cyprus Society: Cyprus Employers & Industrialists Federation, Cyprus Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Companies, Associations etc.
CARDET is conducting a “best practices” study, to examine what organizations and Academia – Industry Liaison Offices in Europe and elsewhere are doing to promote innovation and entrepreneurship. The aims of the visit were to learn from other’s experiences on issues like:
- Collaboration between academic institutions and enterprises in addressing specific issues and problems faced by enterprises
- Development of innovative products and services
- Technology transfer programs
- Student placements in enterprises in the form of internship or practicum
- Explore ways that we can collaborate on future projects
Participants in the study visit were Dr. Charalambos Vrasidas and Sotiris Themistokleous from CARDET, Dr. Gregory Makrides from the University of Cyprus, Dr. Charalambos Chrisostomou from the Cyprus University of Technology, and Dr. Antonios Londos from the Frederick University. Within a next few weeks, a detailed report on best practices and recommendations for Cyprus Universities’ Liaison Offices will be developed and presented to interested stakeholders. For more information about the project, visit www.liaisonoffices.ac.cy.